Backend Engineer Job Description Template
We're looking for a backend engineer to join our team. As a backend engineer, you will work on a variety of projects, interacting with different teams.
You will build, maintain, and extend our features, APIs, and the test suite. You should be comfortable tackling difficult problems and moving in a fast-paced environment.
- Build and extend our backend code
- Build APIs that serve our frontend apps as well as other clients
- Benchmark and improve performance
- Maintain and extend our test suite
- Refactor and improve existing code to incorporate better patterns
- Document and write about your work
While these requirements are a guideline, feel free to apply even if you don't meet some of these.
- 2+ years' experience working on backend applications
- In-depth understanding of a backend language (like Ruby, Java, or Python)
- Great understanding of databases and SQL
- Great understanding of what makes good software: problem solving, testing, good patterns, etc.
- Basic understanding of high-level programming paradigms (OOP, functional programming, etc.)
- Basic understanding of REST APIs and services
- Basic understanding of UNIX